Monday 3 May 2010

1967 Honda CD175 Sloper Resto



This is the story of my CD175 restoration.
I wanted to restore an old japenese bike. I wanted a pre CB750 era machine. It would have been nice to find an old 'black bomber' or CB72 to rebuild, but fate played a hand because one day I logged onto ebay and there was one of these. 'LOOK AT THIS' type of advert. There was a 1967 Honda CD175 sloper for sale. It was partially stripped, but was 'all there' according to the ad.
It was about 60 miles from me, so not too bad. I decided to click 'buy it now' and I was suddenly the owner of an old japenese motorcycle.
I recovered the bike back to base and made a start assesing the amount of work needed.
As can be seen in the picture The bike was missing a few items. Some items missing in the pics are included in a box of smaller items. But, it was obvious that this is a true restoration. By that I mean that I am going to take an old machine which is clearly no where near being 'on the road' and hopefully turn it into an immaculate machine which anyone would want to have in their collection.
The first job was to strip the cycle parts and collate them into their respective sections ready to be re-finished. I ended up with a pile of parts needing to be painted and a pile needing to be plated. The rest either needed to be thrown out, (not much) or to be polished, or in the case of the engine, further work.

THE ENGINE
Being such a small unit physically meant I could easily put the unit on the bench, and strip it in comfort. I normally have to strip engines on the floor, because as I work alone, I cannot lift them onto my bench.
My bench is very heavy and a solid build, which could easily take the weight of a big engine, but I am a 'bad back' case, so it was nice to be able to get the little Honda up out of the way.
As you can see from the pics the engine internals were in excellent condition. That means hopefully that the engine has been looked after and should be ok when rebuilt. These little motors spin at very high RPM so have to be in good condition to withstand the stress of normal running.
I have now fully stripped and inspected the whole engine and can say that all looks in good order.
The cases have been meticulusly cleaned and painted, ready to be put back together. I bought a set of stainless engine bolts to add to the 'new' look.
I am finishing my BMW R100T at the moment so progress on the Honda is limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment